What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, May 16, 2010

FALL TV UPFRONTS: 2010-2011: NBC

MONDAYS: NBC brings CHUCK back to the very timeslot its held since it premiered: Monday nights at 8. I wonder if this is wise, considering CHUCK has never really broken out from this crowded timeslot? I was hoping a move to Tues or Wedn. Maybe Sunday nights after football would be a good fit too? Anyway, I'm just glad its back. Following CHUCK is the new THE EVENT, which is NBCs attempt to steal the LOST crowd. I think this is smart, since it replaces HEROES in the same genre timeslot. And Jerry Bruckheimer's CHASE looks as good as anything to compete against the fading CSI MIAMI and the still-bubbly CASTLE.
OVERALL UPFRONT GRADE: B+
SHOWS I WILL WATCH: CHUCK, THE EVENT. Not too excited about CHASE, unless it shows me something I havent seen before in that genre.
TOTAL HOURS: 2.0

TUESDAYS: Nothing changes here. It's BIGGEST LOSER for the first two hours, then second seasoner PARENTHOOD. I kinda like PARENTHOOD, but I wonder if that show wouldn't work better in an earlier hour. Again, maybe Sundays once football is over.
OVERALL UPFRONT GRADE: B-
SHOWS I WILL WATCH: PARENTHOOD
TOTAL HOURS: 1.0

WEDNESDAYS: An all-crime night, starting with the Hart to Hart-inspired UNDERCOVERS. If this plays comedic, I will stick with it. But LAW & ORDER SVU and the new LOS ANGELES L & O following it aren't my cup of tea. Still, looks to be a solid night if ABCs comedies don't spoil the party.
OVERALL UPFRONT GRADE: B-
SHOWS I WILL WATCH: UNDERCOVERS, solely for JJ Abrams. Could be a knockout!
TOTAL HOURS: 1.0

THURSDAYS: Ahhh, comedy! Must See TV! Its COMMUNITY, followed by 30 ROCK. Then THE OFFICE leads into the new OUTSOURCED. Then, to top it off, Becki Newton's LOVE BITES, which sounds like great counter-programming in the the hour. I am actually glad to see NBC trying hour-long comedy/drama shos at the 10 pm hour, like PARENTHOOD.
OVERALL UPFRONT: A-
SHOWS I WILL WATCH: COMMUNITY, 30 ROCK, THE OFFICE, OUTSOURCED, LOVE BITES. My kinda night!
TOTAL HOURS: a solid 3.0

FRIDAYS: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE leads into DATELINE. The new Jimmy Smits OUTLAW closes out the night. YAWN!
OVERALL UPFRONT: D+
SHOWS I WILL WATCH: NONE
TOTAL HOURS: NONE

SATURDAY: Scratch

SUNDAY: FOOTBALL

OVERALL:
TOTAL HOURS I WILL WATCH on NBC: 7.00 hours
NEW SHOWS I WILL WATCH: THE EVENT, UNDERCOVERS, OUTSOURCED and LOVE BITES

Most of the shows I'd been looking forward to on NBC won't premiere until midseason: PARKS & RECREATION, THE CAPE, FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS, PERFECT COUPLES and THE PAUL REISER SHOW. I worry about these comedies because NBC seems to promise them at midseason in the past, only to burn them off in the summer or never show them all (ex: THE SINGLES TABLE, THE IT CROWD and last season's very own 100 QUESTIONS). BOO! I also worry that if COMMUNITY doesn't score early on, or if OUTSOURCED doesn't spark, both will be canned early in favor of the newbies. Either way, viewers lose.

OVERALL UPFRONT GRADE: C+


MIDSEASON

Parks and Recreation
The Cape
Friends With Benefits
Perfect Couples
Harry’s Law
The Paul Reiser Show (formerly “Next”)
The Apprentice
The Marriage Ref
America’s Next Great Restaurant

No comments: