What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall TV: A Second Look: GLEE and UNIVERSE Rise; VAMPIRE Falls...

A month into the new season has brought some great additions to my TV viewing schedule (MELROSE PLACE, COUGAR TOWN, THE MIDDLE), and it looks like Fox's GLEE and SYFY's STARGATE: UNIVERSE will be TOP TEN contenders before the year is out.

GLEE: This show had a fun pilot, and its subsequent next two episodes were also fun. But it was Kristen Chenoweth's episode that GLEE became a TOP FIVE show for me, and is, easily, my favorite new show of the season. I cant remember a successful weekly musical tv show to be this successful since FAME, and even that early 80s show didnt really succeed until it produced content for syndication. With GLEE, the tone, the color pallette, the music and comedy: all of it is highly entertaining, and, most importantly, gets more excited week to week. If I were to rank my TOP FIVE shows CURRENTLY on the air (sorry LOST and TRUE BLOOD), it would look like this: 1. Big Bang Theory, 2. How I Met Your Mother, 3. Supernatural, 4. Glee, 5. Desperate Housewives or The Office. Of those 5 or 6 shows, only GLEE is a newcomer. (MELROSE PLACE would rank 7th, followed by Smallville 8th, Ugly Betty 9th, and 30 Rock 10th).

ORIGINAL GLEE RATING: A-
NEW RATING: A

STARGATE UNIVERSE: I never saw the other STARGATE shows, but UNIVERSE seems real and gritty and entertaining. Week to week it has drawn me in, but only 3 shows in it may be too premature to go balls-out YAY for it. I will have to check in with SGU midway through its first season to get a true assessment, but for now its on the rise.

ORIGINAL STARGATE RATING: B+
NEW RATING: A-

VAMPIRE DIARIES had the best grade of any new fall show (it tied with TRAUMA and got an A), but after 4 episodes, the show has become something of a bore. The cast is attractive, but the angst of the show is starting to grate. I hope it becomes more than this TWILIGHT-light show that it seems to be becoming. Still, it's a keeper (for now).

ORIGINAL VAMPIRE RATING: A
NEW RATING: B

No comments: