What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

FALL TV: 2009-2010: FOX

FOX FALL TV 2009-2010
FOX was the first of the Big Five to announce their Fall and Winter skeds for the 2009-2010 TV Season. For fall, the new shows are GLEE, BROTHERS and THE CLEVELAND SHOW. Midseason newbies are PAST LIFE, HUMAN TARGET and SONS OF TUCSON.





MONDAYS: HOUSE returns to the brutal 8 PM timeslot dominated by DANCING WITH THE STARS on ABC, comedy on CBS, teen drama on CW, and who knows what on NBC. Coming back for a second season is LIE TO ME at 9 PM. I am not a fan of either show, so my attention will be spent elsewhere on the night.

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero.





TUESDAYS: In a surprise move, FOX is treating dancing in the fall like it does music in the winter. Look for 2 hours of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE to juice up ratings (assuming there isn’t a fatique factor of just having seen the summer 2009 edition of SYTYCD).

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero.





WEDNESDAYS: The results show of SYTYCD kicks the night off, then leads into the new comedy-musical show GLEE. Even though I don’t watch DANCE, I hope it gets HUGE ratings that rub off on to GLEE, which will probably be THE show I am most excited about for the new TV season. GLEE is supposed to be a great show, and I hope it triggers a new wave of musical television (because the sooner we can forget about VIVA LAUGHLIN, the better).

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: One (GLEE).





THURSDAYS: BONES returns from it’s successful relocation to Thursdays this past year. That will lead in to the second season of the JJ ABRAMS show FRINGE. I tuned out of FRINGE after a couple episodes into season 1, and decided that I would just buy the DVD should the show succeed. Since it has, I will probably watch FRINGE on a go-forward basis, though I am still on the fence about it.

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Probably One (for FRINGE).





FRIDAYS: The new comedy BROTHERS kicks the night off, followed by the (GROAN) 4th year of TIL DEATH. I am going to sample BROTHERS, though its theme of football doesn’t do much to excite me. As for TIL DEATH, forget about it. That leaves a rather weak lead-in to the surprise renewal of DOLLHOUSE. As with FRINGE, I didn’t want to get too attached to DOLLHOUSE until I knew FOX wasn’t going to cancel it on me. Now that it’s back, I am DEFINITELY going to watch season 1 over the summer and tune in to DOLLHOUSE in the fall.

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: OnePointFive, for now. ( I will watch BROTHERS pilot and make an early decision on if I will continue to support it. But I will definitely be catching DOLLHOUSE)





SATURDAYS: The usual combo of COPS and AMERICA’S MOST WANTED.

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero.





SUNDAYS: It’s animation domination once again. I am not a big SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY or AMERICAN DAD fan, but I am going to give THE CLEVELAND SHOW a looksie. Who knows, maybe it will become a fave and I will start to watch the others around it, though I don’t see myself jumping on THE SIMPSONS bandwagon again (that was so ten years ago for me).

HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: PointFive (for THE CLEVELAND SHOW)





TOTAL HOURS OF FOX PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH IN THE FALL: FOUR HOURS (GLEE, DOLLHOUSE, FRINGE, CLEVELAND SHOW and BROTHERS)





MIDSEASON: PAST LIFE (about reincarnation) looks promising, as does HUMAN TARGET (based on the DC Comics character). FOX also has new comedy SONS OF TUCSON starring REAPER co-star Tyler Labine. All three shows are must-sees for me, and with returning shows, I am looking forward to four or five hours of FOX programming (assuming I continue to watch BROTHERS, CLEVELAND SHOW and FRINGE from the fall).





HERE, IN ORDER, ARE THE NEW SHOWS I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING (includes fall and winter programming):



GLEE (10)

PAST LIFE (8)

SONS OF TUCSON (7)

HUMAN TARGET (7)

THE CLEVELAND SHOW (6)

BROTHERS (5)





HERE, IN ORDER, ARE THE OVERALL SHOWS I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING (FALL only):

GLEE (10)

DOLLHOUSE (8)

FRINGE (7)

THE CLEVELAND SHOW (6)

BROTHERS (5)





MISSING PILOTS: As predicted, AB FAB did NOT make FOX’s schedule. Too bad another studio won’t pick it up, if that’s even allowed. What a bummer.





CANCELED: DO NOT DISTURB, SIT DOWN SHUT UP, PRISON BREAK, TERMINATOR: SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES.





OVERALL OUTLOOK: FOX has a very smart schedule here. It’s a no-brainer that winter is the net’s saving grace (with the annual returns of 24 and IDOL), but last fall FOX made strides with new hit FRINGE. And with the smart scheduling of SYTYCD picking up the missing IDOL pieces, FOX could have itself a solid fall to introduce newbie GLEE. Of course, if DANCE doesn’t catch on because of summer DANCE fatigue, then FOX has 3 mid-week hours of bad reality. It’s a gamble, but I would bet in FOX’s favor that it pays off and DANCE will be a big enough hit to satisfy it’s programmers. I give the FALL sked a solid B+ and the SPRING sked an even better A.

No comments: