What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

FALL TV 2009-2010: CBS

CBS FALL TV: 2009-2010

CBS presented a (yawn) stable schedule of shows today, filled with the usual death and mayhem that the network has succeeded with over the last half of a decade. In fact, all of it's new dramas deal with crime drama or hospital medical drams or law firm drama. Missing from the line-up are the exciting chances the network had taken the last three years, such as JERICHO, SWINGTOWN, and HARPER'S ISLAND. Instead, the fall newbies are NCIS: LOS ANGELES, THE GOOD WIFE, THREE RIVERS and comedy ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE. For Midseason, its MIAMI TRAUMA, THE BRIDGE, UNDERCOVER BOSS and ARRANGED MARRIAGE. BLECH!

MONDAYS: I'll be honest up front: this is the ONLY night of television that I will be watching coming from the Eye network. And what a night it is! Two of my favorite comedies, plus a solid Charlie Sheen hit and a newcomer with Jenna Elfman, will all cheer me up. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER kicks off the night, followed by ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE with Elfman. Then its a solid hour of Chuck Lorre comedy with TWO AND A HALF MEN and THE BIG BANG THEORY. Cheese ends the night with CSI: MIAMI. With no other competition, I have delegated the last hour of the night to THE JAY LENO SHOW.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Two (all four comedies)

TUESDAYS: NCIS returns, followed by the spin-off in LOS ANGELES. New Julianna Marguiles drama THE GOOD WIFE ends the night. Guess that means a second night of LENO for me.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero

WEDNESDAYS: Boring comedies NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE and GARY UNMARRIED return. I gave CHRISTINE a second chance last year by watching it for the first time since it debuted. It was still blah. And dont get me started on the seriously unfunny GARY. Bloody crime shows follow with the returns of CRIMINAL MINDS and CSI: NY.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero

THURSDAYS: SURVIVOR and CSI are back. Then the night closes with the transplanted THE MENTALIST.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero

FRIDAYS: Once a dumping ground for last-leg tv shows and reality, Friday nights return in the fall with scripted programming on all the major networks, which will give GHOST WHISPERER and NUMBERS some much-needed competition. The transplanted MEDIUM switches from NBC to CBS and is sandwiched between GHOST and NUMBERS.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero

SATURDAYS: Crime repeats for the first two hours, followed by 48 HOURS MYSTERIES

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero

SUNDAYS: Another blah night: 60 MINUTES, THE AMAZING RACE, newcomer THREE RIVERS and COLD CASE.

TOTAL HOURS OF CBS PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH: Zero.

TOTAL NUMBERS OF CBS PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH IN THE FALL: Sadly, just two hours.

MIDSEASON: The only show midseason I will watch will be the comedy RULES OF ENGAGEMENT. Otherwise, its boring as usual with THE BRIDGE, MIAMI TRAUMA, UNDERCOVER BOSS and ARRANGED MARRIAGE.

HERE IS THE NEW SHOW I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING:

ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE

HERE ARE THE OVERALL SHOWS I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING:

THE BIG BANG THEORY

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE

TWO AND A HALF MEN

MISSING PILOTS: There was a Jason Biggs pilot that looked interesting, but evidentally CBS chose the suckful GARY and CHRISTINE over it.

OVERALL OUTLOOK: Personally, I find CBS' schedule an EXTREME BORE. I also think the network is going to continue bleeding the 18 to 49 age demo. CBS may have the most total viewers, but it's sorely low on the buzz radar. Further, by not taking any chances, CBS is gambling that the viewing audience is still hungry for the tried and true that the network specializes in. One day, tastes WILL change, and I believe that day is coming. When it does, CBS is going to find themselves hurting..big time! I'm not saying that change will come in 2009-2010, but in the next couple years, don't expect CBS to still be #1 with overall viewers. I give the schedule, as it stands right now, a B (as viewed by ratings and safety). But, personally, as far as shows that appeal to me and my tastes, I give the CBS fall sked a D

No comments: