What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

FALL TV: 2009-2010: ABC

ABC FALL TV: 2009-2010
Following a FOX-y upfront yesterday, ABC followed the (18 -49) leader and presented their own upfront earlier today, with some surprises of their own. For Fall, new shows include SHARK TANK, THE FORGOTTEN, HANK, THE MIDDLE, MODERN FAMILY, COUGAR TOWN, EASTWICK and FLASH FORWARD. Midseason newbies include HAPPY TOWN, V and THE DEEP END.

MONDAYS: Old stand-by (and getting older by the season) DANCING WITH THE STARS PERFORMANCE SHOW will lead in to second year mystery drama CASTLE. I watched a few eps of CASTLE last year and kinda liked it, but ultimately bowed out. I am happy for the show and star Nathan Fillion, but it's just not my cup of tea.

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero

TUESDAYS: New Reality show SHARK TANK will lead into the DWTS RESULTS SHOW. Then the new Jerry Bruckheimer amateur sleuth show THE FORGOTTEN will close the night out at 10. I will sample THE FORGOTTEN, but it's not a priority show for me to watch, and therefor:

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero

WEDNESDAYS: Four new comedies and a new drama make this ABC's first huge surprise of the sked. It's been years since ABC has had a 2-hour comedy block, and I believe the first time on record that said comedy block consisted of four completely new comedies. Two years ago ABC debuted 3 new shows on the night (PUSHING DAISIES, PRIVATE PRACTICE and DIRTY SEXY MONEY). With newcomer EASTWICK closing out the night, once again ABC goes bold with an all-new feast. I'm there!

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Three (HANK, THE MIDDLE, MODERN FAMILY, COUGAR TOWN and EASTWICK)

THURSDAYS: Newcomer FLASH FORWARD (which will probably take over the LOST timeslot next year should it succeed) kicks the night off, with GREY"S ANATOMY and PRIVATE PRACTICE staying where they are.

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: One (FLASH FORWARD)

FRIDAYS: In the Alphabet net's second big surprise, fourth-season show UGLY BETTY is transplanted to Fridays, and sandwiched between reality bores SUPERNANNY and 20/20. I predict BETTY will move once again when the ratings dont add up. With that said, look for BETTY to air it's series finale in May 2010.

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: One (UGLY BETTY)

SATURDAYS: College Football

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: Zero

SUNDAYS: A solid night, though I think it would have been more fun to put something else after DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES besides BROTHERS AND SISTERS. FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS and EXTREME MAKEOVER return once again.

NUMBER OF ABC PROGRAMMING I WILL WATCH: One (DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES)

TOTAL HOURS OF ABC PROGRAMMING THAT I WILL WATCH IN THE FALL: SIX HOURS

MIDSEASON: THE BACHELOR will take over for DANCING PERFORMANCE SHOW on Mondays; SCRUBS and BETTER OFF TED take over for the DWTS RESULTS SHOW on Tuesdays; DEEP END, HAPPY TOWN and V also debut midseason.

HERE, IN ORDER, ARE THE NEW SHOWS I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING (Includes Fall and Midseason):

V (10)

FLASH FORWARD (9)

EASTWICK (9)

COUGAR TOWN (9)

HAPPY TOWN (8)

MODERN FAMILY (7)

HANK (6)

THE MIDDLE (6)

THE FORGOTTEN (6)

THE DEEP END (5)

HERE ARE THE OVERALL SHOWS I AM MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING (FALL ONLY):

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

UGLY BETTY

FLASH FORWARD

EASTWICK

COUGAR TOWN

MISSING PILOTS: The one that got away, for me, was LIMELIGHT. That series was set in a performing arts school, similar to FAME. But with GLEE on the air at FOX, I am not totally upset.

OVERALL OUTLOOK: Other than Wednesdays, I am not overly impressed with ABC's Fall sked. For me, things dont pick up until midseason (SCRUBS, BETTER OFF TED, LOST, V and HAPPY TOWN). So, for Fall, I give ABC a C+; For Midseason I give ABC a B+

No comments: