What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, October 7, 2007

FALL TV Reviews: Cavemen, Life

FALL TV: Save These Shows!
The new fall tv shows now airing need help. CHUCK, REAPER, ALIENS IN AMERICA, BACK TO YOU, GOSSIP GIRL, DIRTY SEXY MONEY, JOURNEYMAN and ONLINE NATION have all gotten off to a bumpy start (only BIONIC WOMAN looks to be an early hit). But it isn't just the new shows that need help. The following lower-rated shows have all been given another chance to catch on, so please take a moment to watch:
*HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER (Mondays, 8 PM, CBS) A+
*30 ROCK (Thursdays, 8:30 PM, NBC) A+ and the current Best Comedy Emmy Winner. It barely survived to see another season.
*FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (Fridays, 9:00 PM, NBC). I havent seen it yet either, but it's supposed to be awesome, so I am going to watch it this week based on that fact alone (after all, I would be a hypocrite on here if I didn't give it at least a try)
*JERICHO (CBS: Midseason) This show was cancelled, then after a successful nut-job from the fans CBS renewed it for 7 more episodes. Watch it now or forever miss out on this innovative series. B+

4:26 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
MUSICAL WATCH: 1 New Entry
2007 MUSICALS:

*ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (My score: A+)
*HAIRSPRAY (My score: A)
*ONCE
*ENCHANTED (2 numbers)
*NAKED BOYS SINGING
*HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 (TELEVISION, THE DISNEY CHANNEL)
*SWEENEY TODD
*ROMANCE AND CIGARETTES
*VIVA LAUGHLIN! (TELEVISION, CBS)
*FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS (TELEVISION, HBO) (My score, series: A+)
*SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM (1 number/episode: TELEVISION, COMEDY CENTRAL)
(My score, series: A+)
*SCRUBS (TELEVISION, NBC: Musical Themed Episode from '06-'07 TV season) (My score, musical episode: A+)
*LEGALLY BLONDE: THE MUSICAL (TELEVISION: MTV) (NEW ENTRY!)

2008 MUSICALS:

*MAMA MIA!
*REPO- THE GENETIC OPERA
*NINE
*CAROUSEL
*FOOTLOOSE
*HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3
*ROCK CAMP (TELEVISION)
*FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS (SEASON 2: TELEVISION)
*DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (TELEVISION, ABC: Musical themed episode planned for the 2007-2008 TV season) (NEW ENTRY!)
*UGLY BETTY (TELEVISION, ABC: Musical themed episode planned for the 2007-2008 TV season) (NEW ENTRY!)
2:36 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
FALL TV REVIEW: BIG SHOTS
Instead of titling it BIG SHOTS, it should have been called BIG GROANS. This is a terrible show about four macho guys delivering unbelievable dialogue. What's worse, I can only one of the four (Michael Vartan's character) - the other three annoyed the hell out of me (in fact, Christopher Titus' character was so annoying that it made the entire series unwatchable). This show is pure fantasy-fluff for females... with all of the plots contrived (i mean, John Getz's death by golf cart was entirely predictable - and just not that funny). YECH!
D-
MY PREDICTION: With so many tonally similar shows on the network, I can't see ABC keeping this one around for very long (unless audiences are idiot enough to watch it). I sure hope this one bites the dust soon (isnt OCTOBER ROAD waiting in the wings, anyway?)
9:03 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
FALL TV REVIEW: LIFE
This is one of those quirky character studies of a often-quirky man who plays by his own rules. The pilot was side-lined with those LAW & ORDER and CSI-like crime scene scenarios that I loathe. So I am really the worst judge of this kind of show because I HATE them all, even ones that are well-made and produced, such is LIFE. If this is your cup of tea, great. But it's not mine - and I think LIFE represents a step backward instead of forward. Been there, done that kind of show.
D+
MY PREDICTION: Terrible title, but it doesnt have much competition on Tuesday nights, so I imagine that if audiences click with it, they will make LIFE a so-so hit, and for NBC (again), that's as good as gold.
8:59 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
FALL TV REVIEW: CAVEMEN
Uh......yeah, ...right. Well, the last time I checked what defines a 'comedy' I came up with the answer of 'a program that is funny'. But when I watched ABC's "comedy" CAVEMEN I did NOT laugh once (not a single time). I really wanted to like CAVEMEN. I kinda enjoyed the GEICO ads the show is based on, and I thought the series could have that cult-like ALF or DINOSAURS vibe going on with it. But nope, CAVEMEN is dead on arrival. I won't be back to see the next episode, or any thereafter.
D
MY PREDICTION: It's hard to think that CAVEMEN will make it past 3 episodes. Yes, CAVEMEN is THAT BAD.

No comments: