What is your favorite new genre show?

Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, October 7, 2007

FALL TV REVIEW: Chuck

FALL TV REVIEW: HEROES
I was part of the 50% of people who felt let-down by last May's HEROES finale. So it's nice to see the show return more restrained. By tackling less characters (many of our favorites won't appear until next week), and by introducing a few new ones, the show is a solid, entertaining hour of drama, comedy and adventure. I especially like the sub-story of Hiro and his time travels. I was less impressed with the death of one of my favorite secondary characters (but the plotline of this murder mystery is a killer). I am also looking forward to the arrival of Miss Veronica Mars. Way to go, HEROES!
A
MY PREDICTION: More solid success for season 2.
6:39 AM - 3 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
September 25, 2007 - Tuesday
FALL TV REVIEW: CHUCK
It's rather hard not to fall in love with the quirky action/comedy/romance hybrid known as CHUCK. It is equal parts ALIAS, HOT FUZZ and MR AND MRS SMITH, and Zachery Levi is the breakout star here. It's also great to see FIREFLY/SERENITY's 'Jane', Adam Baldwin. The tone of this series is light caper that knows how to mix a little humor into the espionage plot points as the title character realizes he has government secrets stored in his brain that were accidentally downloaded there from his college roomie/buddy Bryce. The real test now is to see if the quality of the the first episode can extend beyond the awesome pilot.
A
MY PREDICTION: DANCING WITH THE STARS is going to steamroll through this hour on ABC, which will leave all the other networks scrambling for second place. I am already a lover of CBS' HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, and I am looking forward to CW's ALIENS IN AMERICA. So I am pretty open to any other success here except for PRISON BREAK. It's going to be a fierce battle and there will be casualties. But if the public will give CHUCK a chance they will be rewarded with a great companion to lead into HEROES with. It's good for CHUCK to stay here, and I believe it will succeed (DAMN I HOPE SO!).

7:11 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
FALL TV REVIEWS: MOTHER and MEN
HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER kicked off season 3 just how I predicted: with Barney saying 'DARY'. You have to go back to the end of season 2 to understand what that half-word means and signifies. I sorta found the stunt casting of Enrique Iglesias and Mandy Moore to be distracting, but hey, if it corrals more viewers to the show, then 'AWESOME'! Neil Patrick Harris stole the show (no surprise there), but the characters of Ted Moseby and Robin Sparkles (hehe) were off. Still, this show is my favorite comedy on television.
THIRD SEASON PREMIERE EPISODE: B+
OVERALL SERIES: A+
TWO AND A HALF MEN: The highlight of the show is Jake joining Junior High School. Otherwise, the comedy fell flat (especially Charlie Sheen's Meatballs and Celery Stalk rash....ewww). I can't wait for Stalker Rose's return in Episode 100... her comic relief is missed.
FIFTH SEASON PREMIERE EPISODE: C
OVERALL SERIES: B

MY PREDICTIONS: Monday is incredibly competitive (DANCING WITH THE STARS, HEROES, ALIENS IN AMERICA, PRISON BREAK, BACHELOR), so I fear that CBS's once-dominance in the Monday Comedy category will continue to erode this year. Still, TWO MEN was consistenly in the TOP TEN over the summer, so it still has juice. But HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER has a weak pairing with THE BIG BANG THEORY, so I fear that DANCING WITH THE STARS will have a big impact on MOTHER's numbers. MEN is a solid hit and will stay put for the entire season. MOTHER, on the other hand, will find a different timeslot if it doesnt catch on early in the season. Both shows will make it to May 2008.

No comments: